Kintaro Hattori built Japan's first watch in 1881. Since then, SEIKO has been devoted to excellence in watchmaking. Through the 1950's and 1960's, SEIKO challenged themselves by striving to invent the world's first quartz watch. In 1969 they succeeded, and introduced the Quartz Astron, Revolutionizing the very concept of watches in general, and raising the bar for all other watchmakers across the world.
Since 1968, Seiko has earned several international awards for their watch making skills. Recently, the Spring Drive Chronograph won the 2008 Watch of the Year from Horloges Magazine (the Netherlands), the Spring drive SNR011 won the 2008 Golden Wheel Award from Uhren-Magazin (Germany), and the Spring Drive SNR005 won the Design award for Watch Time magazine (USA) in 2006. SEIKO was also the official time keeper of the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway and the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain.
They have introduced many time-keeping world firsts such as:
• 1969: World's first automatic chronograph watch equipped with both vertical clutch and column wheel & world's first quartz watch "SEIKO Quartz Astron"
• 1973: World's first six-digit LCD watch
• 1975: World's First multi-function digital watch & the world's first titanium diver's watch.
• 1983: World's first TV watch & the world's first watch with sound recorder
• 1988: World's first "A.G.S." (automatic generating system) watch and was later renamed "kinetic"
• 1990: World's first computerized diver's watch
SEIKO surprised the world by not pursuing monopolization of their patents for the technologies they created. Because their primary goal was to change the future of watchmaking for everyone, they opened their patents to the world. Today, much of the technology that SEIKO forged is considered the worldwide industry standard.
Here at West Essex Jewelers, we are excited to carry world renowned, high quality watches for you! To see the stunning beauty and functional practicality that these internationally known watches have to offer, stop in to our Essex County, NJ store today. Our trained and knowledgeable watch consultants are here to assist you with all your watch buying needs and questions.